Big Red SEO knows that businesses have a lot on their plate and sometimes the last thing on their mind is “I need to get my website set up and active.” They will push this task off until a later date. However, this is a task that is important to start as soon as possible. Websites and Google Places are how people find out who you are and if they need or want your services. In addition to setting up a website, it is also essential to integrate SEO.
How to Begin your SEO Setup
- Add your company’s phone number and address to every page of the website.
- First things first, after the website is designed, install Google Analytics. This follows data to keep track of how many people are visiting your site and what they look at when they do.
- Next, make a Destination Goal. This means inserting a “Thank You” page to appear after registering on the website or filling out a contact form.
- Then, set up Google Webmaster Tools. Google says they can:
- Check your site’s health for potential issues that Google has detected.
- Understand your search traffic and learn how users are finding your site.
- Make optimizations to help Google better understand and represent your site.
- Link your Google Analytics to your Google Webmaster Tools. This way you can see all the data Google has for you in one spot.
- Make a robots.txt file and upload it to the site’s root directory. This gives instructions to web robots about your site.
- Also, make a sitemap.xml and upload it to the site’s root directory too. A sitemap is a list of pages from the website that are available for crawlers* or users.
- Submit your sitemap to Google Webmaster Tools so it can be indexed and found by prospective users.
- Create an email address that pertains just to the website.
- Last, make sure your site is compatible between different browsers (Chrome, Explorer, Safari and Mozilla Firefox).
*Google describes a “crawler” as
“a generic term for any program (such as a robot or spider) used to automatically discover and scan websites by following links from one webpage to another. Google’s main crawler is called Googlebot.”
Research Important Keywords Relating to your Business
- Create a list of your products and services. What words and phrases would a potential customer use in order to find your company?
- Google also offers a Keyword Planner to search for possible keywords.
How to Optimize Onsite
- Write unique title tags (under 60 characters) and meta-description tags (under 155 characters) using some of the keywords already designated for that page.
- Also, have a target keyword in each page’s URL.
- Add ALT tags to your images.
Search engines love to see these. It may help your ranking on Google or Bing if you make it a point to do them.
Writing Unique Content
- When you are writing content, be sure that you have at least 300 words and it is unique.
- Begin a blog. Search engines favor blogs.
- Add pictures, videos, graphs- anything that might stimulate the mind and break up the text. Too much text in one place can be overwhelming and may be skipped over.
Ways to Link Build
- See who has been mentioning your competitors online by looking at Moz’s Open Site Explorer.
- Build relationships with others; they may mention you on their own website and link back to your site. This is good PR.
- List your company with directory listing sites.
- Create accounts in Social Media for your business
Extras- Just if you want to
- Add Google Authorship markup. This just gives the author’s information at the bottom of blogs.
- Try out Google Analytics Experiments. You can see two different versions of your website at once and decide which one you like better before you publish it.
- Make sure there are no 404 errors or 301 redirects in Google Webmaster Tools
- Check out how your site looks for mobile with Google’s Mobile Meter.
- Check your site’s speed with Google Page Speed Tools.
- Track progress with SERP
Contact Big Red SEO Today at (402) 522-6468
If you were able to do all these things. Congratulations! If not and you need help, contact us at Big Red SEO. We know it sounds complicated and some of you do not have the time to do all of the suggested steps. That is why we are here. We would love to help you out; we do these lists every day!